Working With Children Check

Code Like a Girl takes the safety of children seriously. As such, we require all staff, volunteers and contractors to complete a background check. The name of the check varies, however, it is mandatory for all individuals over 18 to work or volunteer with children.

Below is a breakdown of each State and Territory with references to assist you in obtaining your clearance to work with children:


Working with Children checks are issued by the Department of Justice and Regulation in Victoria. 

South Australia

The Department of Education and Child Development carries out Child Safety screening. 

New South Wales

In New South Wales, the Office of the Children’s Guardian administers Working with Children Checks.

Australian Capital Territory

In the ACT, Access Canberra carries out the Working with Vulnerable People background check.

Northern Territory

SAFE NT, a unit of the Northern Territory Police, administers Working with Children Clearance Notices (Ochre Card).


The Public Safety Business Agency in Queensland administers the Blue Card system.


In Tasmania, the Working with Children registration is administered by the Working with Vulnerable People registration unit.

Western Australia

In Western Australia, the Working with Children Check is carried out by the Department for Child Protection and Family Support.


Child Safety Background Check FAQs

Will Code Like a Girl reimburse me for the cost of the check?

This is a pre-employment/engagement requirement which you must hold prior to joining the Code Like a Girl team. As such, Code Like a Girl will not reimburse any checks or renewals.

I have lived overseas for more than one year, do I need to obtain any other clearances?

From time to time, Code Like a Girl partners, or venue hosts will ask for an additional police check for the time you have been living overseas. This can be obtained from the law enforcement body for each relevant country. Information on obtaining a police check from an overseas government or law enforcement authority can be found on the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

I already have a background check statement, do I need to obtain another one?

As long as you have a current check that has not expired you will not be required to obtain another one. You will need to provide evidence of this clearance prior to commencing duties which involve children.

I’ve moved to a different State/Territory, do I need to get another clearance?

Yes, you are required to obtain a new check within 30 days. You can volunteer in a different state on a one-off basis.

Partner with us

Want to be part of building a better world and driving gender diversity in tech in Australia?

eye sticker